Saturday, May 15, 2010

Council of The Fallen - Three Song Demo 2000

Council of The Fallen - Three Song Demo 2000
2000, Self-Released

This 3-song, 7-minute long demo CD arrived in my mailbox without warning, so it was a nice surprise to examine it the first time and realize that I would probably be listening to it again - this is not the usual pattern with most of the demo material I receive here. The first time I put this in my CD player I listened to it five times without even noticing what I was doing - this is just what you want in a demo. Maybe I was just craving death metal, who knows? Council of the Fallen play a very heavy, speedy form of death/grind, complete with blast beats, slower churning, a crushing beatdown riff every now and again, etc. The rhythm riffs are, for the most part, a standard affair, even though they (thankfully) cycle through lower tones with a great deal of efficiency and skill and do not rise to the higher registers too often. Of special note is the nice bruising slow section that starts after the bridge at 1:28 in the second song 'Eternal Suffering' - it's been a while since I've heard something like this coming from a death metal band. I also admire the very first riff (and second) on this disc, the two melodies from guitarist Kevin Quirion that begin the initial track 'Demon Winds', as they are very catchy and about as heavy as it comes when you are listening to Florida-style death metal - in fact they remind me a lot of older Malevolent Creation, say, circa 'Retribution'. I wish the second (transition) riff would have lasted longer, and I also wish the little lead segment in this song had been prolonged, as there are some interesting tones in there. The drumming on this material is top-notch, resolute skinsman Derek Roddy peppers the music with varied beats, highspeed runs and lots of quick fills. The third song 'Realms of Conquest' takes them into different territory, as it is more melodic than the first two songs and features different styles of expression...yet this all fits together excellently and can only be considered a quality release for this up-and-coming band. Also of note is the production (especially the mix), which is way above average for a demo band, and really shows off their material in a good light. I think this band definitely has a future.